On Adelaide’s doorstep, yet feeling a life-time away, the McLaren Vale region provides everything you could possibly need for the perfect getaway. Wildly diverse nature criss-crosses the region, from glorious beaches to spectacular landscapes, and everything in between. Famous for its wineries, and busily carving out a reputation for exquisite food, the region will leave you impressed, not to mention satiated and relaxed.
Here we’ve gathered our top 5 favourite things to do on a getaway to McLaren Vale & Surrounds:
1. With a flourish of first-class restaurants, using only the best local produce, and award-winning wineries, McLaren Vale & Surrounds beckons to the most discerning palate. It makes undeniable sense to combine the two, and nobody does it better than Penny’s Hill. Set in a stunning location, they offer unparalleled food crafted by talented chefs, complemented by their outstanding wines.
2. Bushland, orchards and wineries stand side-by-side, weaving a resplendent tapestry which rolls down to meet pristine beaches. Witness the spectacular nature on offer by following a trail through wine country, jumping on the wonderfully named Cockle Train, or crossing over the causeway to Granite Island on a horse-drawn tram. Breathe in the revitalising air as you watch out for the quirky little penguins that befittingly have the right of way.
3. A rich heritage envelopes McLaren Vale & Surrounds, and is supported by an interest in art that is omnipresent. The beautiful scenery has attracted artists in their droves, and you’ll be spoilt for choice with galleries, studios, exhibitions and theatre all adding their own flavour to the cultural melting pot. If you can’t decide which to visit, see them all on a Fleurieu Peninsula Art Trail.
4. If the idyllic nature, and the region’s famous liquid refreshment have failed to relax you, make sure you pay a visit to The Joyful Buddhas Health & Wellbeing Studio. Surrender to their capable hands and allow one of the experienced therapists to work their magic. Choose from their extensive list of luxurious treatments, including reflexology and massage, which will leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
5. The retail experience throughout McLaren Vale & Surrounds is an indulgent one. You’ll find a whole range of shops offering clothing, souvenirs, art, antiques and craft. Head to one of the farmers’ markets and feast your eyes on the stalls over-flowing with delectably fresh, locally grown produce. Visit the award-winning Alexandrina Cheese Company for delicious, hand-made treats.
A trip to the McLaren Vale & Surrounds is without doubt a sumptuous, indulgent experience, and that should extend to your choice of holiday accommodation. Browse through the luxury accommodation in McLaren Vale for your next getaway.
Image Credit: SATC/ Adam Bruzzone