You’ll find the sophisticated seaside village of Port Douglas just an hour’s drive from Cairns, with its gorgeous beaches and a relaxed attitude. Close by is the Daintree, which is one of the most spectacular corners of the globe; its claim to fame is being the only place on earth with two World Heritage-listed sites standing shoulder to shoulder. Offering splendid local markets, exclusive artwork, world-class restaurants and pampering spas, the Port Douglas & Daintree region has everything you’ll need for the ultimate getaway.
Here we’ve put together the top 5 must-dos while visiting the region:
1. Food lovers will be amazed by the culinary delights on offer in the area, from chic cafés on the wharf, to quaint tea houses nestled among the ancient rainforest. There are some outstanding restaurants in the region, and nothing defines excellence better than Harrisons. Housed in a stunning colonial-style building, and set in beautiful gardens, this highly-acclaimed restaurant has been honoured with the only One Hat rating in Port Douglas.
2. A living museum, the Daintree Rainforest has survived for 100 million years, making it the world’s oldest tropical rainforest. Home to the most species of plants and animals in Australia, the forest is of crucial scientific importance, as well as being spectacular. Cape Tribulation sits majestically at the heart of the Daintree Rainforest, and it’s here that you can creep up on crocodiles hiding in mangrove-sheltered rivers, try exhilarating jungle surfing, or sample exquisite exotic fruit. If you’re feeling intrepid, wait for the sun to go down, grab your torch, and head out for a Night Walk.
3. Where pampering is concerned, Port Douglas has got it covered. Home to some of the most luxurious day spa facilities in the world, there is ample opportunity for a little relaxation and rejuvenation. The Port Douglas Day Spa provides sublimely good massages, hot stone zones and deep purifying skin treatments. Bliss!
4. The Port Douglas & Daintree area is a haven for artistic souls, with the awe-inspiring scenery acting as the perfect muse. The artisan vibe is evident in the photography, sculpture and paintings on offer, with musical productions, festivals and theatre complementing the mix. There is also a very strong indigenous cultural presence and galleries, such as the Ngarru Gallery, showcase an impressive collection of indigenous fine art.
5. If you enjoy a spot of shopping while on a relaxing getaway, then look no further than Port Douglas. Trawl the sprawling markets and pick up locally grown produce, or find the perfect holiday souvenir. Alternatively, head to the speciality boutiques stocking designer clothing, hand-made indigenous craft, and exclusive jewellery. Visit Höglund Art Glass, in Whyanbeel Valley, for a stunning display of hand-blown glass items.
Your getaway to the Port Douglas & Daintree region will stay with you forever. Why not make it all the more memorable by treating yourself to luxury accommodation during your stay? Check out our range of stunning holiday houses and retreats in the area.