Between work, parenting duties, significant-other obligations, and generally keeping your daily life in order, it can be difficult to schedule any time to relax. Family holidays are great, so are romantic retreats. But sometimes what you really need is a few days away from all the responsibilities. And for times like this, there’s no better company than your girl besties.
So gather up your friends for that long overdue girls’ getaway of pampering and fun. Whether you want to splash in the surf, shop until you drop, or indulge in a few lavish spa treatments, Australia has plenty of fantastic options for you.
5. Sydney’s Northern Beaches, New South Wales
The exclusive district northeast of Sydney, including popular beaches such as Palm Beach & Whale Beach, is known as the Northern Beaches. Along this scenic coastline, that extends from Sydney harbour to Broken Bay, you’ll discover some of Australia’s best surf, places to eat, and accommodation.
What makes this a great girl friends getaway is it’s literally at the doorstep of Sydney. Getting here takes little time, and getting lost in its myriad of offerings takes even less. Spend balmy days by the beach frolicking in the water or sharing a cooling drink with your friends. Refresh and revitalise together by taking in some Vitamin D, exploring the foodie scene, or enjoying the natural beauty of the region.
Things to do
- Take a day trip on the ferry to Ettalong – a pretty beach town on NSW’s Central Coast
- Hire a paddleboard, kayak or tinny and discover the hidden beaches around Pittwater
- Take a hike to Barrenjoey Lighthouse to enjoy the stunning nature & ocean views
- If the season’s right, go whale watching – there are plenty of great vantage points nearby
- Book on to the official Home & Away Tour & discover Summer Bay (aka. Palm Beach)
4. Daylesford, Victoria
Situated among the picturesque hills and lakes of Victoria, Daylesford is another fantastic choice for holidays all year round. If relaxation is the goal of your trip, then this is the ideal place to get the girls together to escape and invigorate. Touted as the “spa centre” of the state, this region is naturally rich in mineral springs, stunning scenery, and a myriad of health and rejuvenation venues.
But there’s so much more to enjoy in Daylesford & nearby Hepburn Springs. Stroll down the streets and discover the fascinating shops and galleries, then take a break from all the shopping in one of the many quaint cafes. Delight in the exquisite dining options on offer and reconnect with nature while taking in the spectacular scenery. Your wallets may be lighter, but what you gain is priceless.
Things to do
- Let your cares melt away in the mineral waters of Hepburn Bathhouse & Spa
- Discover trinkets and treasures at one of the enchanting local markets
- Indulge in a sumptuous meal overlooking striking lavender fields
- Take a quiet lakeside stroll among the abundant birdlife
- Dine, shop or relax under the towering trees at the spectacular Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens
3. Mornington Peninsula, Victoria
Just one hour from artsy Melbourne is another Victorian region known for its wineries and beautiful seaside towns. It’s the perfect spot for you and your friends if you want to chill, relax, and toast the good life. Spend sunny days relaxing by the beach or learning how to surf. Then, take a break and savour lunch in one of the top-notch eateries on the Peninsula.
Cooler months can be spent touring the many excellent wineries. The Mornington Peninsula is known to produce high-quality Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays — perfect drinks to enjoy by the fireside. You can also explore the charming towns of Sorrento and Portsea or indulge in a relaxing thermal spa at the Peninsula Hot Springs. The region’s diverse choice of activities means you’ll never run out of things to do with your best buds.
Things to do
- Board the Arthurs Seat Eagle gondola ride for a bird’s eye view of the Peninsula
- Pamper yourself with a bathing experience at the award-winning Peninsula Hot Springs
- Snap some group pictures on a walk from Cape Schanck Lighthouse to Point Nepean
- Enjoy some wine tasting & a meal at one of the 50+ cellar doors on the peninsula
- Visit some of local markets and shops & snap up some one-off art or vintage treasures
2. Byron Bay, New South Wales
The immense popularity of Byron Bay can be attributed largely to its sublime beaches and laid-back vibe. With temperatures averaging between 20 – 30 degrees centigrade year-round, it’s the perfect girls getaway any time. Whether you’re craving sun-drenched beaches, a refreshing hinterland escape or checking out the lively cultural scene, Byron Bay provides in spades.
And when it’s time to recharge, relax, and bond over the latest gossip, you will find plenty of places to see and things to do with your friends. Like indulging in a spa treatment and noshing on a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants and funky bars in town. With endless options, Byron Bay gives you the chance to discover something a little less ordinary with your best girl friends.
Things to do
- Get pampered with a Balinese-inspired spa treatment at Buddha Garden Day Spa
- Take a spectacular balloon ride over the lush Byron Bay Hinterland
- Fill a basket with a hand-picked selection of fresh, local produce at the Byron Farmers’ Market
- Enjoy stunning views of the coast while watching over dolphins, surfers and Seven Mile Beach
- Savour an organic, locally-sourced meal in the charming historic 1900’s cottage of Harvest Newrybar
1. Noosa, Queensland
Head to the Sunshine Coast, about an hour and a half from Brisbane, and you’ll find the country’s most fashionable resort town, Noosa. Warm weather, designer boutiques, hip restaurants, and miles of pristine beaches attract tourists and weekenders alike to this sun-drenched region. It’s just the place to be if you want a little slice of the laid-back coastal life.
Noosa has three main areas: Noosa Heads, Noosaville, and Noosa North Shore. Most of the socialising, shopping, dining, and sunbathing happens in Noosa Heads’ Hasting St. and Main Beach. But if you want something slower and more relaxing — like barbecues and river fishing — Noosaville is where you and your friends should go. Or you could find your very own spot along the pristine stretch of white-sand at Noosa North Shore. Nothing is better than having the best options right at your fingertips.
Things to do
- Learn to surf with World Pro-Am champion Merrick Davies at the Main Beach
- Take the girls on a scenic Noosa River and Everglades cruise
- Visit the Eumundi Markets, Australia’s largest Art and Craft market
- Ride the ferry from Tewantin to Noosaville for some fine dining and shopping
- Go on a cheese and wine tasting tour in the hinterlands
Looking for more options for your girls getaway? Browse our full collection of luxury retreats in Australia.
What’s your luxury?
Luxury means different things to different people. Is your luxury a glamorous hotel in downtown Manhattan, a private island hideaway on the Great Barrier Reef, or a safari camp on the plains of the Serengeti? We’ll help you find your perfect version of luxury in some of the world’s most beautiful places.