Between work, parenting duties, significant-other obligations, and generally keeping your daily life in order, it can be difficult to schedule any time to relax. Family holidays are great, so are romantic retreats. But sometimes what you really need is a few days away from all the responsibilities. And for times like this, there’s no better company than your girl besties.
So gather up your friends for that long overdue getaway of pampering and fun. Whether you want to splash in the surf, shop until you drop, or indulge in a few lavish spa treatments, Australia has plenty of fantastic options for you.
The immense popularity of Byron Bay can be attributed largely to its sublime beaches and laid-back vibe. With temperatures averaging between 20 – 30 degrees centigrade year-round, it’s the perfect girls getaway any time. Whether you’re craving for sun-drenched beaches, refreshing hinterland escapes or checking out the lively cultural scene, Byron Bay provides in spades.
And when it’s time to recharge, relax, and bond over the latest gossip, you will find plenty of places to see and things to do with your friends. Like indulging in a spa treatment and noshing on a delicious meal at one of the many restaurants and funky bars in town. With endless options, Byron Bay gives you the chance to discover something a little less ordinary with your best girlfriends.
Things to do
1. Get pampered with a Balinese-inspired spa treatment at Buddha Garden Day Spa
2. Take a spectacular balloon ride over the lush Byron Bay Hinterland
3. Fill a basket with a hand-picked selection of fresh, local produce at the Byron Farmers’ Market
4. Hike to take in the stunning views of the coast while watching over dolphins, surfers and Seven Mile Beach
5. Savour an organic, locally-sourced meal in the charming historic 1900’s cottage of Harvest Newrybar
Situated in the picturesque hills and lakes of Victoria, Daylesford is another fantastic choice for holidays all year. If relaxation is the goal of your trip, then this is the ideal place to get the girls together to escape and invigorate. Touted as the “spa centre” of the region, it is naturally rich in mineral springs, stunning scenery, and a myriad of health and rejuvenation venues.
But there’s so much more to enjoy in Daylesford. Stroll down the streets and discover the myriad fascinating shops and galleries, then take a break from all the shopping in one of the many quaint cafes. Delight in the exquisite dining options on offer and reconnect with nature while taking in the spectacular scenery. Your wallets may be lighter, but what you gain is priceless.
Things to do
1. Let your cares melt away in the mineral waters of Hepburn Bathhouse & Spa
2. Discover trinkets and treasures at one of the enchanting local markets
3. Indulge in a sumptuous meal overlooking striking lavender fields
4. Take a quiet lakeside stroll among the abundant bird life
5. Dine, shop or relax under the towering trees at the spectacular Wombat Hill Botanic Gardens
Sydney’s Northern Beaches
The suburban district north east of the city including popular beaches extending from Sydney Harbour to Broken Bay comprises Sydney’s Northern Beaches. Along this scenic coastline, you’ll discover some of Australia’s best surf, places to eat, and outdoor adventure.
What makes this a great girlfriends getaway is it’s literally at the doorstep of Sydney. Getting here takes little time, and getting lost in its myriad offerings takes even less. Spend balmy days by the beach frolicking in the water or sharing a cooling drink with your friends. Refresh and revitalise together by taking in some Vitamin D, exploring the foodie scene, or enjoying the natural beauty of the region.
Things to do
1. Get some friendly competition going with a round of golf at Long Reef Golf Course
2. Enjoy great weather with a picnic at a scenic waterside setting at Davidson Park
3. Take a hike through history at Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
4. Go whale watching at one of 38 vantage points in and around Sydney
5. Explore the hidden beaches of Manly and people-watch at the ever popular Bondi Beach
Just one hour from artsy Melbourne is another Victorian region known for its wineries and beautiful seaside towns. It’s the perfect spot for you and your friends if you want to chill, relax, and toast the good life. Spend sunny days relaxing by the beach or learning how to surf. Then, take a break and savour lunch in top-notch eateries around the Peninsula.
Cooler months can be spent touring the many excellent wineries. The Mornington Peninsula is known to produce high-quality Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays — perfect drinks to enjoy by the fireside. You can also explore the charming towns of Sorrento and Portsea or invite the girls to indulge in a relaxing thermal spa at the Peninsula Hot Springs. The region’s diverse choice of activities means you’ll never run out of things to do with your best buds.
Things to do
1. Board the Arthurs Seat Eagle gondola ride for a bird’s eye view of the Peninsula
2. Pamper yourself at the award-winning Peninsula Hot Springs and its more than 20 inspired bathing experiences
3. Snap some group pictures on wintry walks from Cape Schanck Lighthouse to Point Nepean
4. Exchange stories over excellent selections of wine, fresh produce, and delectable meals
5. Get some retail therapy by visiting the local markets and shops and snap up some one-off art and vintage treasures
Head to the Sunshine Coast, about an hour and a half from Brisbane, and you’ll find the country’s most fashionable resort town, Noosa. Warm weather, designer boutiques, hip restaurants, and miles of pristine beaches attract tourists and weekenders alike to this sun-drenched region. It’s just the place to be if you want a little slice of the laid-back coastal life.
Noosa has three main areas: Noosa Heads, Noosaville, and Noosa North Shore. Most of the socializing, shopping, dining, and sunbathing happens in Noosa Heads’ Hasting St. and Main Beach. But if you want something slower and relaxing — like barbecues and river fishing — Noosaville is where you and your friends should go. Or you could find your very own spot along the pristine stretch of white-sand at Noosa North Shore. Nothing is better than having the best options right at your fingertips.
Things to do
1. Learn to surf with World Pro-Am champion Merrick Davies at the Main Beach
2. Take the girls on a scenic Noosa River and Everglades cruise
3. Visit the Eumundi Markets, Australia’s largest Art and Craft market
4. Ride the ferry from Tewantin to Noosaville for some fine dining and shopping
5. Go on a cheese and wine tasting tour in the hinterlands
Looking for the perfect accommodation for a fun Girls Weekend away? Browse our full collection of luxury retreats in Australia.