- Jan 5, 2015
- Stoewie van den Bulk
The North Coast, quite frankly, has it all. Famous for its sandy beaches and crystal clear lakes, the region is the ideal refuge for surfers, anglers and anyone else that enjoys the water. It also boasts 400 year old forests, enthralling walks and breath-taking lookouts. Situated along the Legendary Pacific Coast road, the area is easily accessed from Brisbane and Sydney, and is also home to vibrant markets, award-winning restaurants and a wealth of culture.
Here we’ve gathered the top 5 unmissable experiences for a break away on the North Coast:
1. The North Coast offers a myriad of natural phenomena that is diverse and spectacular, and none more so than the Booti Booti National Park. Nestled on a peninsula between Wallis Lake and the Pacific, the park is most certainly the best of both worlds. Take a hike along any number of tracks and soak up stunning lake-side views and beautiful beaches, topped off with cooling rainforest. Stop off at Cape Hawke lookout for panoramic 360-degree views of the surrounding area.
2. The cultural vibe of the area is as eclectic as its natural beauty, from quaint museums offering rare shell exhibitions, right through to fine-art galleries. You’ll find glass-blowers, sculptors and contemporary artists creating unique work, inspired by the scenery that surrounds them. The Glasshouse Gallery in Port Macquarie offers a wide range of exhibitions with both international and local themes, and provides a wealth of cultural and artistic experiences.
3. Make sure you take the time for some pampering and sheer indulgence by visiting one of the many luxurious day spas in the region. If you are enjoying a romantic getaway for two on the North Coast, why not opt for a couples’ spa treatment at Endota Day Spa in Forster? Choose from an extensive range of sublime massages and body treatments, all a stone’s throw from the idyllic shores of Lake Wallis.
4. If shopping is a compulsory part of your trip, then look no further than the North Coast. Visit bustling marinas for surf-wear and designer clothes, or head off the beaten track to discover quaint village boutiques and farmers’ markets packed with local produce. For those with a sweet tooth, visit the extraordinary Honeycomb Valley Farm, near Nabiac, and try the luxuriously and extremely rare sugar-bag honey; it’s also home to Australia’s largest solar oven.
5. With freshly harvested oysters, premium olives, and exceptional locally-produced wines, the North Coast is a haven for sumptuous food and drink. For an innovative and ground-breaking dinner menu and award-winning breakfasts visit the rustic Bent on Food, where only the freshest local produce is used to create an unforgettable dining experience.
The North Coast undoubtedly has something for all tastes, and is the ultimate relaxing escape from it all. The luxury accommodation in the region tops off the experience with style, so take a look at our North Coast Accommodation, and make the most of your getaway.
Main Image Credit: Destination NSW