There is never a dull moment on the Gold Coast. Synonymous with fun, the region is a short hop from Brisbane and offers theme parks, beaches heaving with never-ending activities, designer outlets and award-winning restaurants. However, don’t be fooled into thinking that this is all the region has to offer. Venture only 30 minutes inland and you’ll discover unspoilt hinterlands, thriving vineyards and luxurious health spas, revealing a side to the Gold Coast that is often overlooked.
Here you’ll find our top 5 things to do on a getaway to the Gold Coast:
1. Those with a taste for the good life are certainly catered for on the Gold Coast, with magnificent restaurants and award-winning wineries. A mixture of cultural influences are evident, with an eclectic mash-up of culinary tastes, which can be found in casual beach-side cafés through to fine-dining establishments. At the multi-award winning Songbird restaurant on Mt Tamborine, exquisite dishes are painstakingly crafted to send your senses into overdrive.
2. There is no shortage of indulgent day spas available in the Gold Coast region, so why not take the opportunity to unwind in opulent, relaxing surroundings? With a range of facilities, including mineral baths and steam rooms, and offering rejuvenating massages and treatments, Tamborine Mountain Getaway Day Spa will have you spoiled for choice.
3. From reef to rainforest, the Gold Coast is an area of outstanding natural beauty. Scuba-dive around reefs teeming with sharks and multi-coloured fish, or stroll through eucalypt woodlands perched perilously close to steep cliff-edges. The Springbrook National Park offers volcanic landscape peppered with rushing streams, waterfalls, rare flora and fauna, and large plateaus. The park includes the unmissable Natural Bridge, home to a colony of glow-worms, and the aptly named Best of All Lookout.
4. Not so surprisingly, the shopping opportunities on the Gold Coast are varied. You’ll find lavish shopping centres occupying Surfers Paradise and other bustling parts of the region; alternatively, for a more low-key experience, check out the vibrant organic farmers’, artisan or beach-front markets, selling produce, hand-made arts and crafts, antiques and souvenirs. For a continental treat to die for, try out The Old Danube, in Helensvale, where the cakes are made on the premises from only natural ingredients.
5. The Gold Coast is dynamic and culturally rich, with a ubiquitous festival scene covering renaissance fairs to magnificent beach sculptures, and everything else in between. You’ll find large regional galleries rubbing shoulders with small, independent studios, and there is a tangible artisan vibe in the hinterlands, with charming galleries and workshops dotted throughout the rural villages. Gallery One is one of Queensland’s most prestigious contemporary fine art galleries, featuring the work of award-winning Australian artists.
Whether you enjoy the excitement of a lively resort or prefer the more subdued village scene, the region has something for everyone. Whichever you choose, check out our range of indulgent holiday homes, highlighting the luxury Gold Coast accommodation on offer.
Photo Credits: Tourism Australia